’10 Commandments’ for TV station sites
Former reporter Kevin Davis has posted what he calls the 10 Commandments for television station Web sites.
- Thou Shalt Use Tags/Labels/Keywords
- Thou Shalt Use High Quality Video
- Thou Shalt Podcast… Period
- Thou Shalt Use Advertisements Sparingly and Accordingly
- Thou Shalt Engage Thy Audience Beyond A Comment Section
- Thou Shalt Live And Die By Quality Assurance
- Thou Shalt Post Content Additional To Thy Newscast
- Thou Shalt Link To Prominent Local Sites In Thy Community
- Thou Shalt Keepeth Content Fresh
- Thou Shalt Think Long-Term
It’s an interesting read and worth a look. However, the list touches upon but doesn’t mention two prominent issues that TV news Web sites need to consider: the design and cluttered nature of sites and adding the ability to allow users to customize the content they see.
NewscastStudio also offered a selection of tips for improving sites in an earlier NewscastTip column.