While the images, sets, graphics and other materials on this site may be copyrighted by third parties, we cite the following section of the United States law.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107
“Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors”
How NewscastStudio is covered
We strongly believe that the files on this site are covered by Fair Use for the following reasons:
- This Web site advances knowledge and education of the set design, graphics design, Web design and television news industries by teaching and educating both professionals and the general public about set design, graphics design, Web design and behind-the-scenes aspects of television production.
- The effect on potential market value is limited. By their very nature, sets, graphics and Web sites are viewed on television or other mediums and are highly visible to the general public. Copyright violations are not any more likely than if a member of the general public or another designer simply viewed the station’s media and copied elements of all or part of the set.
- NewscastStudio does not claim ownership of the sets, graphics, Web designs or images on this site. Credit is, wherever possible, given to the photographer, source and/or designer.
- NewscastStudio is a news Web site and uses various graphical materials to illustrate the stories and concepts discussed.
If we have failed to appropriately credit a design or photograph to the party responsible, we encourage you to contact us and we will make every effort to correct the problem.
Updated: Nov. 12, 2009