DaVinci Resolve 18 boasts cloud support for remote collaboration
Blackmagic Design has announced the latest version of its video editing and color grading software, DaVinci Resolve.
Version 18, which is available for beta download now, introduces new cloud collaboration features along with support for the Blackmagic Cloud for hosting and sharing projects, as well as a new DaVinci proxy workflow.
This update also includes new Resolve FX AI tools powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine, as well as time saving tools for editors, Fairlight legacy fixed bus to FlexBus conversion and GPU accelerated paint in Fusion.
DaVinci Resolve 18 supports Blackmagic Cloud, so customers can host their project libraries on the DaVinci Resolve Project Server in the cloud. Share projects and work collaboratively with editors, colorists, VFX artists and audio engineers on the same project at the same time, anywhere in the world.
The new Blackmagic Proxy Generator App automatically creates and manages proxies from camera originals. Create a watch folder and new media is automatically converted into H.264, H.265 or Apple ProRes proxies to accelerate editing workflows. Customers can extract proxies into a separate folder for offline work.
Customers can switch between camera original footage and proxies in a single click. With Blackmagic Proxy Generated proxies, DaVinci Resolve knows where in the file tree to find them, instantly linking to the camera originals in the media pool. Edit with proxies, then relink to camera originals to grade.
DaVinci Resolve 18 adds intelligent media location management, so that when customers are collaborating customers can quickly link media to their unique file paths. Now customers don’t need to manually relink or search for assets when customers work remotely.
The collaboration update also provides major performance enhancements if customers are using a secure private network. Get immediate updates of editorial and color changes when collaborating on a remotely hosted project library. Now creative decisions can be made in real time based on the latest changes.
Live stream their DaVinci Resolve Studio viewer and display on a remote computer monitor, or a reference grading monitor, via DeckLink to anywhere in the world. The low latency, high quality 12-bit image is ideal for remote editing or color grading giving customers instant feedback on changes.
DaVinci Resolve 18 features incredible new tools for colorists. Located in the magic mask palette, the new object mask is able to recognize and track the movement of thousands of unique objects. The DaVinci Neural Engine intuitively isolates animals, vehicles, people and food, plus countless other elements for advanced secondary grading and effects application.
DaVinci Resolve supports the latest industry standard audio formats natively, including immersive audio formats like Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, MPEG-H, NHK 22.2, and SMPTE. The space view scope displays a real time view of every object and its relationship to the room and other objects in 3D space.
DaVinci Resolve 18 Features
- Support for Blackmagic Cloud to host and manage cloud based project libraries.
- New Blackmagic Proxy Generator App automatically creates and manages proxies.
- Ability to choose between working with proxies or camera original files.
- Support for intelligent path mapping to relink files automatically.
- Improved project library performance for private server.
- New object mask recognizes and tracks movement of thousands of objects automatically.
- New depth map generates 3D depth matte of a scene in DaVinci Resolve Studio.
- New surface tracker for tracking warped surfaces in DaVinci Resolve Studio.
- Refined ultra beauty tool in Resolve FX beauty for advanced corrective work.
- Expanded subtitle support for TTML and XML timed texts, and embedded MXF/IMF.
- Support for reversing shape, iris and wipe transitions in the edit page.
- New 5×5 multicam enables viewing of up to 25 simultaneous different angles.
- Faster GPU accelerated paint tool with smoother strokes.
- Support for live previews when using the Text+ color picker.
- Ability to convert historical fixed bus projects to FlexBus in project settings.
- Improved Dolby Atmos immersive mixing, including Binaural monitoring.
- Decomposition of nested timelines with all track data including FX and automation.
- Innovative space view scope in Fairlight shows position and relationship in 3D space.