‘Set Madness’ finalists announced, cast your votes in Round 1
It’s time again for Set Madness!
We’re excited to announce the finalists for our annual “Set of the Year” competition — and once again we’re borrowing the March Madness theme and bracket system for our contest. We have some changes in store for this year’s contest, plus your chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
We have a few changes this year:
- Due to the high number of extraordinary set design work of 2013, we’ve expanded the field to 24 finalists.
- We’ve added a dedicated category for sets devoted to the 2012 London Olympics.
- We’ve changed the DMA breakdown slightly to include one division for DMAs 1-25, one for 26-50 and one for 51 and over.
- You’ll also notice four “conferences” within the bracket. While assembling the nominees, we noticed Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, NBA related networks and morning shows each had two finalists, so we decided to group them together.
- Click here to download the bracket (don’t forget to check out our bracket contest below!)
What’s the same
The core of the competition remains the same. In each round, the sets that get the most votes will move on to the next round.
Here’s how voting will work:
- Round 1: Voting is open now (starting at 10 a.m. central time) for all 24 finalists and continues through Friday, March 22 at 5 p.m. central time.
- Round 2: The Round 2 field will be announced at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 25 and voting opens then. This will consist of two sets from each division going head to head. Voting closes Friday, March 29 at 5 p.m.
- Round 3: Round 3 will be announced at 10 a.m., Monday, April 1. This round will have one set from each division going against two others. Voting closes Friday, April 5 at 5 p.m.
- Round 4: Results will be announced at 10 a.m., Monday April 8. One network, cable or Olympic set will go head-to-head with the finalist from the local markets to determine the final winner. Voting closes Friday, April 12 at 5 p.m.
- Winner: The final winner will be announced on NewscastStudio’s 10th anniversary, Monday, April 15 at 10 a.m.
- Please see official rules below.
In honor of our 10th anniversary, we’re also offering the chance to win a $50 gift card for the person whose bracket correctly predicts the winner of our contest and gets closest to predicting the rest of the rounds.
- Download the official NewscastStudio 2013 Set Madness bracket here and fill in how you think the contest will play out.
- Email a digital version of your bracket, scan or photo of it to email@example.com by Sunday, March 13 at 5 p.m. central time.
- The player who both correctly predicts the final winner AND whose bracket most closely matches the final voting will win a $50 gift card to Amazon.
- Please see official rules below.
Round one voting
- Network Division: Jiangsu TV v. Fox Sports Studio 2A and “CBS This Morning” v. “Today Show” (Australia)
- Cable Division: NBA TV v. ESPN NBA Countdown and PAC 12 Network v. CNN Washington D.C. Bureau
- Olympics Division: NBC Olympics v. BBC Olympics and CTV Olympics v. CCTV5 Olympics
- DMAs 1-25 Division: WTVJ-TV v. WXTV-TV and WCNC-TV v. WEWS-TV
- DMAs 26-50 Division: KSL-TV v. KSTU-TV and WTMJ-TV v. WITI-TV
- DMAs 51+ Division: KCRG-TV v. KERO-TV and WPMI-TV v. WYFF-TV
Note: NewscastStudio inadvertently used the wrong call signs for WYFF-TV (the photos of the set were correct, however). We have corrected it here and on the ballot; all votes for the incorrect call signs will be counted toward WYFF-TV.
Official rules for Set Madness 2013
- One vote per person per round. Duplicate votes will be discarded automatically.
- NewscastStudio reserves the right, at its sole and final discretion, to disqualify any votes it deems to be in violation of any rule.
- In order to maintain the integrity of the contest, NewscastStudio reserves the right to disqualify votes it determines, at its sole and final discretion, are not based on the design of the set.
- NewscastStudio is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected entries, or technical difficulties that may interfere with the submission of votes, and NewscastStudio may or may not, at its sole discretion, modify entry deadlines in the event of technical difficulties.
- Only votes cast via the official voting forms will be counted. Votes via comments, social media, email or any other method are not valid.
Official rules for Set Madness 2013 Bracket Contest
- No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. An email account and Internet connection are required to enter.
- Official contest sponsor is HD Media Ventures LLC, d/b/a NewscastStudio.
- To enter, a complete bracket must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. central time on Sunday, March 13, 2013. All entries must be complete and clearly legible to be valid; any incomplete, illegible or unclear entries will be disqualified without notice. No entries will be accepted via postal mail.
- NewscastStudio is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- The winner will be determined by both of the following factors: 1) The entrant who correctly identifies the winner of the Set Madness 2013 contest, as determined by reader votes and 2) the entrant who most closely identified the winners of each preceding rounds of the Set Madness 2013 contest.
- NewscastStudio reserves the right to not award the prize if no one meets both criteria for winning. In the event of a tie, a final winner will be selected by random drawing of all entrants who fully meet winning criteria.
- The winner(s) agrees to have his or her name and/or likeness appear on NewscastStudio or other media outlets.
- The winner(s) will receive one (1) USD $50.00 electronic gift card to Amazon, to be delivered via email within seven (7) days of contest ending, which is subject to all Amazon terms and conditions. In the event winner resides in foreign country, NewscastStudio will attempt to award a gift card in the winner’s native currency for an amount approximately equal to USD $50.00 (based on then current exchange rates) to either the local Amazon website or similar site. However, NewscastStudio reserves the right, at its sole and final discretion, to award the prize in U.S. dollars and for use only on the U.S. Amazon site.
- Neither Amazon nor its affiliates are sponsors of this contest.