CNN Digital posts record breaking numbers in April
CNN Digital posted its most trafficked week and story in history during April, receiving 536 mm page views during the week and 87 mm on a individual story.
The month also saw CNN’s second highest video streaming numbers, with over 162.5 mm streaming starts.
These record numbers come as the events in Boston unfolded and CNN saw a boost both online and on-air.
Throughout the week of the Boston manhunt, CNN.com was the most trafficked news and information site online, topping Yahoo! News with an all-time high of 536 million page views:
- CNN.com (536 million)
- Yahoo! News by 8% (496 million)
- HuffingtonPost.com by 22% (441 million)
- FoxNews.com by 42% (377 million)
- NBCNews.com by 94% (276 million)
- NYTimes.com by 201% (178 million)
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for week ending 04/21/13
With 75 million unique visitors in April, CNN Digital closed the gap with Yahoo!-ABC News Network to only 15% (89 million) – the narrowest margin ever. While CNN grew its audience 31% over last year, Yahoo!-ABC was flat.
For the month, CNN Digital held a top spot in unique users, topping:
Earning 2.3 billion page views for the month, CNN Digital held a strong lead over the competition and placed behind only the Yahoo-ABC rollup (2.9 billion), beating:
- CNN Digital Network (2.3 billion)
- HPMG News by 45% (1.6 billion)
- Fox News Digital Network by 103% (1.1 billion)
- NBC News Digital by 124% (1 billion)
- CBS News by 202% (764 million)
- New York Times Digital by 205% (758 million)
- USAToday Sites by 292% (589 million)
*Source: comScore Media Metrix, April 2013
#1 in Mobile News
As the number one mobile news source for six years running, CNN Digital continued to outperform the competition in March (most recent available data), boasting a record 26 million users:
- CNN Digital Network (26 million)
- Yahoo!-ABC News Network by 34% (20 million)
- FoxNews Digital Network by 42% (19 million)
- Google News by 168% (10 million)
- New York Times Digital by 243% (8 million)
- MSNBC News by 257% (7 million)
*Source: Nielsen Mobile MediaView
#1 on Social Media
CNN received nearly a quarter million social media mentions on April 19th – the highest level of any day to date, beating out the 2012 Presidential Election which had 210k social mentions.
CNN remained #1 in social mentions for the month, topping all TV and digital competitors. With more than 11 million fans of its branded Facebook pages and 37 million Twitter followers, CNN is the most-followed news network on social media platforms.